cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Jeremy Quinn <jer...@media.demon.co.uk>
Subject Re: Complicated setup
Date Tue, 03 Dec 2002 16:39:09 GMT

On Tuesday, Dec 3, 2002, at 15:03 Europe/London, Andrew Savory wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Dec 2002, Jeremy Quinn wrote:
>
>> We have a website that will have some stuff served by Cocoon and some
>> served by Apache.
>
> Is the stuff served by Apache static content, ie html, mpeg, avi, etc?

correct, but we cannot rely on suffixes for mapping (if that's what you
were leading to ....)

Obviously static content served by Apache will have suffixes ..... the
stuff served by Cocoon will not, but it does need to be able to handle
situations where someone adds a suffix to the url (and redirects to the
un-suffixed version of the same url).

>> It is not easy to separate them out because we need to retain legacy
>> URLs. Likewise, it is not possible to give Cocoon served material a
>> URL
>> prefix, primarily because we need Cocoon to serve the home page of the
>> site.
>
> Ok, I'd get Cocoon to serve the whole lot (assuming you want to
> gradually
> replace legacy stuff with Cocoon anyway), but use the sitemap to "pass
> through" the legacy bits.

We will not be converting the legacy stuff to Cocoon, they are 3rd
party projects, hosted on the site because they have some relationship
with the hosting organisation.

>>  From Apache:
>>
>> 	/images/*
>
> eg:
>   <map:match pattern="/images/**.jpg">
>     <map:read src="/legacy/root/images/{1}.jpg" mime-type="image/jpg"/>
>   </map:match>
>
>> 	/movies/*
>
> eg:
>   <map:match pattern="/movies/**.avi">
>     <map:read src="/legacy/root/movies/{1}.avi"
> mime-type="video/x-msvideo"/>
>   </map:match>

We really want to get Apache serving this content if possible, it is
going to have less overhead and be faster, as I understand it.

But I do see your point, if the worst comes to the worst, we can serve
all the static content (even HTML) using a 'reader'.

>> And then we need Slide-based WebDAV access to the Cocoon based
>> material, with Cocoon generating from the Slide repository ..... and
>> this I have still never had working .....
>
> Not used this, so can't help, sorry.

Still trying to find someone who's used this stuff ;)

>> a) place all static content in a single directory and redirect (legacy
>> URLs) into it from Cocoon.
>
> I'd leave it where it is, and get Cocoon to do the hard work of dealing
> with legacy urls.

Thanks for your suggestions.

regards Jeremy