cocoon-users mailing list archives

From SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <dabb...@saxess.com>
Subject Re: documentation issues (guides, hint, error retrieval)
Date Sat, 02 Nov 2002 17:29:39 GMT
hy, Matthew;

mlangham@s-und-n.de wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sorry to be so direct: I don't think you have really yet grasped
> what it means to use open source software or to paricipate in an open
> source community.  In a cathedral world you could demand that the vendor
> of your software answers all your questions - but here - things are
> different.  ...

1.) no problem with beeing direct, that's ok.
2.) i stated in the first few lines of my mail, that i am happily
     willing to help working on the docs, if noone else is
     currently in the issues i mentioned. Sorry, i should have
     stated this more clearly ...

> If you are looking for "the big picture" then I really do suggest you
> read our book (sorry: shameless plug). You will gain a better idea of
> Cocoon and how you can use which parts to do what.

Thanks for the tip. I will consider looking into this.

> If you want to know which parts of Cocoon may help you in your new
> application then go ahead and post more details on what you are looking
> for. There is a lot of experience here and I am sure people will be able
> to point you in the right direction. But if you are looking for people
> to do your work for you - then you've come to the wrong place.

Sorry, i don't think YOU got me right here ;-) I am simply pointing out
things, that i found in cocoon, which i am puzzled about (thanks again
for your answer last week). I never said, it's anybody else who should
do this for me. But i am searching for people, who may have stumbled
into the same issues and possibly are interested in seeing such issues
solved. If i am on my own with my issues it makes no sense to touch the
cocoon sources, right?

> If you think features in Cocoon are lacking then check out the code from
> CVS, make it better and then submit your changes. There is a separate
> mailing list for developers (cocoon-dev).

You are right. My last point (error reporting) does not directly belong
to the user-list. I will consider putting it into the developers list.
But as you warned (me see above) it might be no good idea though ;-)

> Again, sorry for being so direct. I would be happy to provide more
> information if you still do not understand how things work here.

Maybe you are right. I might not understand how things work. But i
never never never !!!! would ask others to make my job. (got me now?)

best regards, hussayn

--
Dr. Hussayn Dabbous
SAXESS Software Design GmbH