cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Andy Lewis" <...@ascii27.net>
Subject Re: Separation of concerns?
Date Tue, 12 Nov 2002 16:04:22 GMT

I have found it a great advantage to have someone who is a developer, not a designer, work
with
the designer to create the XSLT to produce a particular design. Most designers struggle with
dynamic components and web-related efficiency concerns. The developer and designer working
together usually produces a good rendition of the design, but adapted in a way that makes
sense.
Never let a pure designer produce your templates.
> I have a (multi-part) question about the suggested "separation of concerns"  that it
is
> proposed that Cocoon achieves.
>
> I would like to ask how Cocoon is being used in a production environment,  specifically
how
> does separation of roles work out. Does it actually work  in practice? How easy is it
in
> production settings to find "graphics  designers" who are also fluent in XSLT?
>
> Aren't such bi-skilled people essential to achieve the implementation of  the "style"
concern?
> Or, in practice, are "real" designers and "real" XSLT  coders working together on the
XSLT
> stylesheets?
>
> I guess that the suspicion that is lurking at the back of my mind is that  the "confusion
of
> concerns" (to coin a phrase) is, to some extent, being  shuffled off into the "style"
box. Of
> course, that may be a signficant  improvement over other workflows.
>
> I can see pretty clearly the cleanness of the current approach for  programmers/administrators
> ... designers don't touch the content nor the  sitemaps ... but I do have slight doubts
about
> the cleanness of the style  concern. Or maybe my doubt is about the realisticness of
finding
> graphics  designers comfortable to code in XSLT.
>
> I notice, too, that style is little mentioned in the online documentation  and doesn't
appear
> as a term in the index of the Langham/Ziegeler book.  That makes me wonder if others
either
> have doubts too about the style  concern or, perhaps, haven't looked (yet?) in a detailed
way
> at how this  will work.
>
> I wonder if what has mostly been happening up to now is XSLT-coders  dabbling with design?
:)

--
"The heights of genius are only measurable by the depths of stupidity."