cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: i18n:when
Date Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:48:25 GMT
> From: Alex Romayev [mailto:romayev@yahoo.com]
>
> Hello,
>
> Just wanted to follow through on the discussion from a
> couple of month back.  There was a proposal that
> Konstantin was going to work on to implement i18:when
> tag as an alternative to using message files, so that
> you could have in the same file something like:

Yes, that's true.
And it was implemented by Matthieu Sozeau as we discussed. As the
implementation was done long time ago (several months) it needs
synchronization with the current version of Cocoon, but I hadn't time to do
it. Though, if anybody needs the full implementation with updated samples
and dictionary handling, just let me know (kpiroumian at apache dot org).

> <page>
>   <title>
>     <i18:when locale='en'>hello</i18n:when>
>     <i18n:when locale='fr'>bonjour</i18n:when>
>   </title>
> </page>

But note, that this is not an alternative to message bundles, but an
addition. You can still have all the pages generated from a bundle, but
provide some specific messages for a particular language.

> Now here is my question (I'm making some assumptions
> here, so please correct me if I'm wrong):
>
> I18nTransformer is not cacheable, which generally is
> not a problem, since it is used as one of the last
> transformers in a pipeline, when most of the
> "heavy-duty" processing is already done.  Now, this
> might not be true for i18n:when tag, which is most
> likely to be the first step in a pipeline and hence
> the rest of the pipleline is not going to get cached.
> Also note, that there is no reason why the result of
> i18n:when could not be cached.

So seems that i18n transformer can be cached based on the selected locale
and cache validity of the used dictionary. I have to think about it, but
again I have absolutely no time to work on it, sorry.

> Is this concern valid or am I missing something?

Seems reasonable and not only for the i18n:when case.

Regards,
  Konstantin