cocoon-users mailing list archives

From SAXESS - Hussayn Dabbous <dabb...@saxess.com>
Subject Re: cocoon and related projects based on cocoon ...
Date Thu, 31 Oct 2002 14:36:37 GMT
Matthew Langham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> to be honest I have no idea what you are talking about :-).

Sorry, i meant

1.) www.cocoondev.org
    This is a great site but i expected this under cocoon!
2.) http://www.orbeon.com/oxf/
    i found this pointer today in the struts discussion trail. I did not
    really investigate on this although it sounds quite interesting
    but again i thought this belongs strongly to cocoon, if it is feasible...

> 1.) Why are all such nice and nifty add ons developed all outside of cocoon
> ?
> <<
> Exactly which components/add-ons do you mean?

see above ...

> 2.) When i move to such an add on component, how can i enshure to keep up
> with the releases of cocoon (taking advantage of the enhancements done by
> the cocoon developers)?
> <<
> Again - which add-ons?

see above ...

> 3.) Why can't i find pointers to the mentioned add ons from within the the
> cocoon pages ?
>
> There is sooo many good software around the world and cocoon for me is one
> of the finest. Why does not all this effort take place at the heart but is
> cluttered around in several loosely coupled or even uncoupled add on
> projects ???
> <
> Cocoon is not cluttered around. At least I don't think it is. The core
> Cocoon project is here. This is the project that is "run" by the Apache
> Cocoon community. Anything else that may be an "add-on" is
> run/developed/maintained by the respective "owner".

Sorry again. I did not mean cocoon is cluttered around! I even did not want to criticise anybody.
i only mentioned there seems to be lots of work done "around cocoon" which from my point of
 view looks very interesting, but is simply not under the umbrella of cocoon itself. So i.e.
if i want to go into such a component, i fear that i must leave the core cocoon... clearly
something to be avoided! Instead i ask again, why don't they come under the cocoon umbrella
and let all cocoon users participate without pain...

It's simply me, who is a bit confused, i didn't want to confuse you ;-) i would only like
to understand, why these "parallel projects" exist... I mean if you look at tomcat, or the
apache server, you will find add ons (like SSL), plugins (myriads) and so, but not parallel
development...)

regards, hussayn