cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Emmanuil Batsis (Manos)" <mbat...@humanmarkup.org>
Subject Re: [Off-topic:XSLT] Passing an XML fragment via a HTML form.
Date Wed, 23 Oct 2002 09:44:09 GMT
ROSSEL Olivier wrote:
>>>I need to pass a subtree of that XML as a parameter, via that form.
>>>
>>>Is there a way, in XSLT, to transform a XML fragment into a string?
>>>So I can have an <input> in my form that contains the text
>>
>>of this XML
>>
>>>fragment.
>>
>>How about parsing the form element value to a DOM object
>>(either client
>>or server side) and extract the DOM node that serves as the
>>root of the
>>fragment you need?
>

> You think I should use Java/XSP for such a process?

Ideally, before submission, you parse the form value to a DOM object via
Javascript (easy in both IE and Moz). You then locate the node
(fragment) of choice and use it's text serialization (XML) to replace
the earlier value of the form. Your server will thus get only the
fragment you need and get away with less work.

Manos