cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Sonny Sukumar <ssuku...@EcologyFund.net>
Subject Re: Can anybody solve this?
Date Tue, 15 Oct 2002 19:53:10 GMT

Werner,

I actually have tried that and the result was a NullPointerException because

String productId = request.getParameter("productid");

gets declared at the class level (i.e. before any method declarations).  I suppose request
is not available in this scope?

Sonny

--- Werner Guttmann <Werner.Guttmann@morganstanley.com> wrote:
>Btw, you do not have to change it to the suggested way. Using a logicsheet within a <xsp:logic>
element makes perfectly sense ...

>I think in your case, just make sure that you move the code that assigns the value of
the productId request parameter to your local variable before trying to generate the content.
In other words,

><page>
>
>   <xsp:logic>
>       String productId = request.getParameter("productid");
>   </xsp:logic>
>
>   <Product>
>      <xsp:attribute>
>        <xsp:expr>products.getCategory(productId)</xsp:expr>
>      </xsp:attribute>
>
>      [snip]
>   </Product>
>
></page>
>
>should do the job.
>
>Werner
>
>Sonny Sukumar wrote:
>
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> I sent the following message (below the line) yesterday and got one good suggestion
to use

>> <xsp:logic>
>>     String productId = request.getParameter("productid");
>> </xsp:logic>
>>
>> instead of
>>
>> <xsp:logic>
>>     String productId = <xsp-request:get-parameter name="productid"/>;
>> </xsp:logic>
>>
>> However, it did not work..same problem with the ordering of the generated Java code
for the XSP which causes productId to try to be used (to create an attribute value for the
root element) before it is declared.  I would REALLY appreciate any insight into this.

at http://www.ecologyfund.com.