cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject RE: About sitetrees and navigation bars (long post) (Was: Re: Link Livesites: Inventive Designers)
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 15:17:03 GMT
Hi,

Haven't heard that one. I usually say 'trying to kill a fly with a
sledgehammer.' :)

>  Your right though, the large sites need much
> > more abstraction.
>

> It probably comes down to, what is the fastest XPath engine and if
> the sitetree.xml is held within memory. I wonder what's the difference
> between XIndice and the Xalan XPath implementation?!

I find Saxon to be the fastest. It can handle very large XML files, quickly.

>  As for maintainablity, we have users administer the site
> > through a GUI. They seem to love the explicit control.
>

> I can believe that. Do you have a screenshot of the user interface?

Why sure :) they are a little old, but here is the main interface:

http://www.livestoryboard.com/en_us/liveSTORYBOARD/screenshots/Storyboard.html

Most of the images are 3 months old. Much has been added/changed.

> What about rules for creating/deleting (moving) within  the sitetree?
> For instance a certain doctype is related to some URI-pattern.

The user navigates the site and adds folders/pages/other-stuff where they are
located. On each page view in the tool I know the folder nodeset, and possibly
the page nodeset or the content nodeset. So when they are in sub-folder1 and
want to create a page or folder, the parameters are sent to the server and the
new item is placed in the hierarchy based on their current position.

If they want to move a folder or page, they lauch the respective properties
dialog and select a different folder from a drop down input. The server then
places the current nodeset in the new folder (at the top). I don't have an image
up for this but, if you could imagine the Add Folder dialog filled in and with a
'Folder Container' drop down at the bottom.

http://www.livestoryboard.com/en_us/liveSTORYBOARD/screenshots/Add_Folder.html

> Another issue I think would also be dynamic sitetrees (or parts of it),
> for instance in the case of a phone book: employees/employee-*-*.html

Definitely.

best,
-Rob