cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Alex McLintock <a...@OWAL.co.uk>
Subject New Riders book review
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 17:37:16 GMT
I've reviewed the New Riders Cocoon book and the review is available here.

http://news.diversebooks.com/article.pl?sid=02/09/19/1722242

Oh ok, here it is too.

Title: Cocoon: Building XML Applications
Author: Matthew Langham
Author: Carsten Ziegler
Publisher: New Riders
ISBN: 0735712352
Price: 30.99 UKP
Topic: non-fiction
Topic: computing
Topic: XML
Reviewer: Alex McLintock
Reviewer URL: http://www.DiverseBooks.com/

If you have a genuine need for an XML backed website and you want to build
it using java tools then you could do a lot worse than to choose Apache's
Cocoon suite of tools. Cocoon is built up froma a large number of different
java based programs (all from Apache Software Foundation) but has suffered
up till now from a lack of paper based documentation. This is the first
Cocoon book which I have seen and I recommend it as such... your first
Apache Cocoon book.

The book starts off with far too much information about web applications
without specific relevance to Cocoon. I don't see how this could be
relevant to someone wanting to build a web application - surely they would
know this already. Do we really need step by step instructions on how to
install Tomcat? Surely it is the readers' responsibility to sort that sort
of thing out. We don't expect explanations of how to run Unix for instance.

The step by step explanation of the sitemap and pipelines whilst looking at
the Hello World app is most welcome. Understanding the sitemap is the most
important feature specific to Cocoon. It does use Java, JSP, JDBC, XML,
XSLT, and loads of other techniques, but these aren't unique to Cocoon. The
sitemap is an XML file which basically describes the whole site... and how
to respond to any request.

I have been using Cocoon for several months now and so I was hoping for a
book which could teach me a lot. Unfortunately it only taught me a few
things, but what it did show me were gems. One thing which I have been
looking for for ages was how to do a photo album which changes often. This
book gives a nice clean example of that so I can drop files in a directory
and have them listed in my website properly.

But... There is always a "but". This book doesn't have enough examples.
They could have put loads on the CD, but didn't. For instance, one could
write a whole book on the subject of FOP - the component of Cocoon which
can take XML and convert it to PDF and other fancy formats. There is an SVG
example, but just the one.

There is one big example: a news portal. It is fine as far as it goes, but
I wanted more. There are some reference chapters for those who want to
understand more about the Internals, and the different sitemap components.
Chapter 10 introduces XSP (the XML equivalent to JSP) which is used to
enhance the news portal example.

The reference Appendices are a hefty 120 pages long, and much more readable
than the online equivalent, but we shall see how up to date it stays."

Openweb Analysts Ltd, London.
Software For Complex Websites http://www.OWAL.co.uk/
Open Source Software Companies please register here
http://www.OWAL.co.uk/oss_support/