cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Werner Guttmann <Werner.Guttm...@morganstanley.com>
Subject Re: Combining Cocoon and Struts
Date Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:22:25 GMT
Dag,

> I would have prefered a Cocoon-only environment, but for "political"
> reasons, we have to try a combination first. Previous poster has also
> described such a pipeline without describing the setup, and we want to
> see if there is a gain in the combination.

I am facing a similar situation here, but with Cocoon 2.1 still being in dev mode,
I guess using Cocoon and Struts together is a viable option. We have been doing
this for 1.5 yrs now, and there's a couple of options to consider for the contract
between the two frameworks. Generally, we use Struts and JSPs for any form
processing (incl. validation) and Cocoon for processing data and rendering it to
various output formats.

We have been using both of the following two options to establish a clean contract
between Struts and Cocoon:

- Use of XMLizable interface from within XSPs
- Use of Castor XML

In both cases, you would use Struts actions to go to the model and return you the
data and bind it to a the HttpRequest/HttpSession. From there on, simply forward
your request to a Cocoon pipeline which takes care of the (de)marshalling required
to convert your object model to SAX events which are then processed further
downstream.

I hope this helps.
Werner