cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: Deploying Cocoon via Ant
Date Thu, 26 Sep 2002 07:51:18 GMT
Vadim Gritsenko wrote:
> Ugo Cei wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to setup a development environment for Cocoon applications
>> based on Ant. I'd like to use the Ant "deploy" target to deploy an
>> application, once it's been built, to a remote server, using Tomcat's
>> manager interface (using Tomcat 4.1.10).
>

> I've seen this report from somebody else, asked a question, never got
> result... What URL you use to deploy webapp (I found two admin
> interfaces in tomcat :-/ ), what are the parameters?

Yes, I found it in the mail archives. Actually I use Ant's Catalina
optional tasks (see
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/manager-howto.html, end
of page). The Ant target is something like:

   <target name="deploy" description="Deploy web application"
           depends="war">
     <deploy url="${url}" username="${username}" password="${password}"
             path="${path}" war="file:./${dest}/resl.war"/>
   </target>

It invokes an URL like the following:

	http://hostname:8080/manager/deploy?path=/resl

and sends the WAR file via HTTP PUT. It actually succeedes because the
WAR file is stored in the server's work directory (somewhere like
$CATALINA_HOME/work/Standalone/localhost, I can't check the exact path
at the moment because the server is down).

I can obtain the exact same effect if I manually drop the WAR file in
$CATALINA_HOME/webapps and invoke:

http://hostname:8080/manager/install?path=/resl&war=jar:file:../webapps/resl.war!/

In both cases the application is successfully deployed, but the WAR file
is NOT unpacked. In this scenario Cocoon (2.0.3, JDK 1.3.1) works
perfectly as long as there are no XSP pages! Every single XSP page that
is invoked cannot be compiled because the compiler cannot find a single
class, not even java.lang.String!

The Java source derived form the transformation of the XSP file,
however, is correctly generated under the work directory.

On the other hand, if I restart Tomcat with the WAR file in the webapps
subdirectory, it does unpack the WAR file and the XSP pages get compiled
without errors.

That's about all, hope someone can help.

	Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it