cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Encoding problem
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:08:54 GMT
Alex Romayev wrote:

>--- Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net>
>wrote:
>

>>Alex Romayev wrote:
>>

>>>--- Vadim Gritsenko <vadim.gritsenko@verizon.net>
>>>wrote:

>>>Good point, I may have a problem in another stylesheet
>>>
>>>(part of the pipeline that responds to the url in
>>>question):
>>>
>>>This parameter is set by the href:
>>><xsl:param name="city"/>
>>>
>>>This should match and does it correctly when 'Delhi'
>>>
>>>is passed, but does not match when I pass 'Äåëè':
>>>
>>><xsl:apply-templates select="//city[name=$city]/>
>>>

>>Check what encoding is used to decode URL. It should
>>be container
>>encoding, but you need UTF-8.
>>

>I'm using tomcat4.0.4, do you know how to change it of
>the top of your head?

I've not played with encoding of the URL itself, but about request
parameters see below...

>>PS In any case, non US-ASCII symbols in URL is not a
>>good idea.
>>

>What would be an alternative?  Basically, I need to
>search agains an XML file, which has city as one of
>the elements, and return all records related to the
>sity.  On the page, there is a list of 'favourite
>city' links.
>
>Also, I'm about to try recording information using
>Cocoon, so I haven't tried to use forms yet, but
>wouldn't I run into the same problem?

Ok, UTF symbols should be fine in the forms (GET or POST) if you to:

(1) Serialize HTML form as UTF-8 (or any other encoding), and (2) set
request encoding: request.setEncoding("UTF-8") (or any other encoding,
same as in (1)) *before* any access to the request parameters. This can
be done from an action.

After that, request.getParameter() should work Ok, and if you to get
request parameter in the sitemap and pass it to the XSLT, it also should
work ok.

BTW, this was already answered today.

Vadim