cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Ugo Cei <u....@cbim.it>
Subject Re: Umlauts in cocoon 2.0.2
Date Wed, 18 Sep 2002 12:43:29 GMT
Kenneth Roper wrote:
> Hi
>
> I'm trying to set up my cocoon application to handle strings with
> Umlauts in (e.g. "ÄäÖöÜüß").  I'm using Cocoon 2.0.2.
>
> Any string with an umlaut was being mangled between posting from the
> browser, and appearing in my variable in an action when I used the
> command:
>
> String mangled= myCocoonRequest.getParameter(name);
>
> The string I get from mangled is: "ÄäÖöÜüß", whereas it should
> be: "ÄäÖöÜüß".
>
> I've left all of cocoon's character encoding settings on the defaults.
> Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
>
> Thanks.
> Kenneth

Change the encoding of your HTML pages by setting the encoding property
on the serializer:

     <map:serializer logger="sitemap.serializer.html"
mime-type="text/html" name="html" pool-grow="4" pool-max="32"
pool-min="4" src="org.apache.cocoon.serialization.HTMLSerializer">
       <buffer-size>1024</buffer-size>
       <encoding>iso-8859-1</encoding>
     </map:serializer>

The browser should recognize the encoding and send back data in
ISO-8859-1. I don't know if what I've just written is entirely correct,
but it sure saved my day when faced with a similar situation.

	Ugo

Phone: +39.0382.525100 - E-mail: u.cei@cbim.it