cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is it a good idea to avoid the use of xsp ?
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 09:35:31 GMT

Kjetil Kjernsmo wrote:
> On Sunday 15 September 2002 22:12, Joerg Heinicke wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>why do you have to create HTML with XSP? We are using the XSP for
>>creating XML, which will be transformed later via XSLT. This way is
>>clean enough for SoC I think.
>

> I must admit that I can't really see the gain with respect to do a
> rigorous seperation of markup from logic. XML and HTML, that's both
> markup, and they are pretty similar in appearance. Though I think of
> (X)HTML as mostly transitional technology these days, XML isn't that
> fundamentally different from HTML so that if you output XML it isn't
> very different from outputting HTML. Though you can transform XML, I
> can't see how using XML will improve the readability of your code...

It all depends on what you are transforming.

XHTML has a low *semantic* content, because it does not use tags that
give big insight to what they contain.

If I write

<info>
  <organization>Apache</organization>
  <personell>
   <person>
    <name>Me</name>
    <surname>MEME</surname>
   </person>
  </personell>
</info>

or

  <h1>Organization: Apache</h1>
  <ul>
   <li>Me MEME</li>
  </ul>

Do you see the difference?

The first way can be processed in much more ways than the second, like a
Database with a schema can be used much more than a plain text file.

It all boils down to what you are producing; if you are producing
generic articles, the latter is more suited.

For example, on Forrest and in the Cocoon docs there is a documentDTD
that is roughlt XHTML for general docs.
Then we also have the todo and changes DTDs, that get converted to the
documentDTD before rendering.

In this way we have two layers: a generic one and more specialized one.
The skin is used to convert the generic one and the specialized ones get
converted in the generic one.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -