cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: About sitetrees and navigation bars (long post) (Was: Re: Link Livesites: Inventive Designers)
Date Sun, 15 Sep 2002 14:50:33 GMT

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Hi Michael,

<snip/>

>>An even more important issue is scalability (and related to it
>>performance) and maintenance of the sitetree.xml or whatever one wants
>>to call it.
>>
>>Did you ever try out your approach with more pages envolved, let's say
>>1000 or even a 1000000?
>>

> My approach would not work well with sites this large. But for 80% (?) of the
> sites out there it would work well.

It would be interesting to know the average size (number of pages),
resp. distribution of websites out there.

There's certainly no need to "break a butterfly on a wheel" (why do you
say that in english? In german you say "to shoot with cannons on sparrows")

 Your right though, the large sites need much
> more abstraction.

It probably comes down to, what is the fastest XPath engine and if
the sitetree.xml is held within memory. I wonder what's the difference
between XIndice and the Xalan XPath implementation?!

 As for maintainablity, we have users administer the site
> through a GUI. They seem to love the explicit control.

I can believe that. Do you have a screenshot of the user interface?

What about rules for creating/deleting (moving) within  the sitetree?
For instance a certain doctype is related to some URI-pattern.

Another issue I think would also be dynamic sitetrees (or parts of it),
for instance in the case of a phone book: employees/employee-*-*.html

All the best

Michael

> best,
> -Rob

OSCOM - Open Source Content Management Conference
September 25th - 27th 2002, Berkeley, California
http://www.oscom.org/conferences/berkeley2002/