cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.org>
Subject Re: Xopus2 has been open sourced
Date Tue, 10 Sep 2002 01:39:53 GMT

Robert Koberg wrote:

> Hi Michael,
> <from-memory>
> What are your thoughts on Xopus? Did you just need any client editor and Xopus
> was the best out of the choice(s)? Or do you believe Xopus to be an excellent
> product?

Well, both I think. Xopus has a very nice "architecture". It's really
just W3C compliant XML, XSLT and XSD concerning what the CMS has to
deliver to the client.

But if everything goes fine, then the Biflux Editor will also be
open sourced this week, which has a different architecture, but has
very nice features as well.

> Have you compared it to the commercial version? Is it just 'less buggy' as they
> state or is there interesting functionality?

I guess you mean Q42's commercial version: I know their website is a bit
confusing about this point. It sounds like the Open Source version has
more bugs than the commercial one. I don't know what the truth is, but
I guess they don't have different code bases. Maybe the Open Source
version is just an older version. Maybe you can ask them on their
mailing list. I am curious too.

The main difference seems that the commercial version has more
functionality than the OS version, such as for instance "Animations",
which I think is very important with regard to usability.

> It seems weird that they have the commercial version being sold as 'less buggy.'
> Is the OS version intentionally buggy to get people to buy the commercial
> version?

I really don't know, but I agree.

> I am having trouble understanding this business model.

I agree, but I think they have the problem that they coded too
long without going Open Source. There is also a main difference between
a CMS and an Editor: With the CMS you can do a lot of integration work,
but with the Editor there isn't much to do normally.

Michael