cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Kjetil Kjernsmo <kje...@kjernsmo.net>
Subject Re: Is it a good idea to avoid the use of xsp ?
Date Mon, 16 Sep 2002 16:35:49 GMT
On Monday 16 September 2002 11:35, Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> XHTML has a low *semantic* content, because it does not use tags that
> give big insight to what they contain.
>
> If I write
>
> <info>
>   <organization>Apache</organization>
>   <personell>
>    <person>
>     <name>Me</name>
>     <surname>MEME</surname>
>    </person>
>   </personell>
> </info>
>
> or

>   <h1>Organization: Apache</h1>
>   <ul>
>    <li>Me MEME</li>
>   </ul>
>
> Do you see the difference?

Sure, all those things are well known. As I said, I do not advocate the
superiority of HTML in any way, on the contrary, HTML has many flaws
and I hope to only serve it to older user agents. My issues are
entirely different.

To make an oversimplified example:

<info>
  <organization>Apache</organization>
  <personell>
   <person>
    <name>Me</name>
	<xsp:logic>
		if (name != "Somebody") {
	 	   <surname>MEME</surname>
 		}
	</xsp:logic>
  </person>
  </personell>
</info>

This isn't much cleaner than it would if you had stuck HTML in there.
OK, this was a very bad example, because the nesting of markup wasn't
very different from that of logic, and I didn't need multiple xsp:logic
blocks, but anyway. You could make this really obfuscated with not too
many lines.

Yes, the output from XSP is easier to process further, but I'm not
talking about the output. I'm talking about the logic. And most of all,
I'm talking about what others find easier to understand. And that's
when I conclude that XSP is OK for rapid development, but that one
should look to components to see brilliance.

Best,

Kjetil
--
Kjetil Kjernsmo