cocoon-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Kenneth Roper <kenneth.ro...@ihavemoved.com>
Subject Re: Umlauts in cocoon 2.0.2
Date Thu, 19 Sep 2002 16:01:34 GMT
Thanks to everyone who replied to this thread, I managed to crack it in
the end.

The solution to my umlaut problem consisted of:

1. Putting this action at the top of the pipeline which handles the
UTF-8 post:
<map:act type="set-encoding">
   <map:parameter name="form-encoding" value="UTF-8"/>
</map:act>

2. Saving all my files ensuring the bytes written to disk were UTF-8 (as
Ugo, Antonio and Joerg told me).  Specifically, my sitemap, web.xml, all
xsl files, and any static xml files I read in my pipelines.

3. Putting an encoding child in my serializers, e.g.
<map:serializer name="xhtml" ....>
  ...
  <encoding>UTF-8</encoding> <!-- KR added -->
</map:serializer>

Step 3 may be optional, but I know the container-encoding of cocoon
defaults to ISO-8859-1 so I thought it best left in.

I am sure that step 1 can be replaced by setting the form-encoding
parameter in the cocoon init-params, but doing this has knock on effects
I hinted at in an earlier post, as I think there is a bug in the cocoon
code (2.0.2, anyway).  Fortunately, for the moment I can avoid this.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Kenneth


On Wed, 2002-09-18 at 15:41, Kenneth Roper wrote:
> Firstly, thanks for everyone's suggestions, this is a very helpful list!
> 
> Unfortunately, I am no further forward.
> 
> Changing the encoding of the sitemap.xmap and the web.xml file has no
> effect.
> 
> Changing the encoding of the xhtml serializer looked like I was on the
> right track, but unfortunately doesn't work:
> 
> I have a this string in my db: 
> 
> "ÄäÖöÜüß"
> 
> It is displayed on an html page generated by a cocoon pipeline.
> 
> If I change my serializer definition in my sitemap and add this:
>      <encoding>ISO-8859-1</encoding>
> The above string appears in my browser (and in the page source) as 7
> question marks, i.e. "???????"
> 
> If I change the encoding back to this:
>      <encoding>UTF-8</encoding>
> I can then see my original string correctly. However, if I post this
> string back to my application, my application receives the string as
> first detailed in the original post (i.e. "ÄäÖöÜüß").
> 
> There is obviously a difference in encoding (or something) between text
> coming from the server to the browser, and the text posted from the
> browser back to the server.
> 
> Any more ideas?
> 
> Thanks again.
> Kenneth
> 
> 
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> Please check that your question  has not already been answered in the
> FAQ before posting.     <http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faq/index.html>
> 
> To unsubscribe, e-mail:     <cocoon-users-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org>
> For additional commands, e-mail:   <cocoon-users-help@xml.apache.org>



---------------------------------------------------------------------
Please check that your question  has not already been answered in the
FAQ before posting.     <http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/faq/index.html>

To unsubscribe, e-mail:     <cocoon-users-unsubscribe@xml.apache.org>
For additional commands, e-mail:   <cocoon-users-help@xml.apache.org>


Mime
View raw message