cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Johan Kindgren <johan.kindg...@home.se>
Subject Running Cocoon programmatically
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 13:00:29 GMT
Hi!

I'm working with a project that uses Cocoon 2.0.2 as a document generator inside WebLogic
6.1.

Right now we are only handling HTTP-requests to generate documents, but we would like to be
able to handle programmatic requests from distributed applications. We haven't decided which
technology to use for the external interface, but I guess we will end up with either EJB's
or SOAP.

My question: Has anyone tried to start Cocoon and programmatically invoking a pipeline, and
storing the result as a object?

I've looked at the Commandline interface (org.apache.cocoon.Main) and it seems like a good
start, but it feels a bit unnecessary to create two Cocoon instances, one for HTTP requests
and one for distributed requests. One apporach might be to rewrite the Cocoon-Servlet, so
that when Cocoon is configured and started, the servlet stores a reference of Cocoon in application-scope.
Then I could use another servlet to listen for SOAP requests and delegate these to the Cocoon
instance.

Is this done anywhere? I can't find any relevant information, but I might be looking at the
wrong places or searching for the wrong thing.

With kind regards

/Johan Kindgren

System Developer
Frontec