cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Conal Tuohy" <con...@paradise.net.nz>
Subject RE: Using Pipeline with third party converters
Date Mon, 02 Sep 2002 23:24:35 GMT
If you have an existing application which you can't easily port to Cocoon
you can package it as a CGI application. Then you can invoke it from Cocoon,
and also use Cocoon to pass it the data it needs.

I've used this technique to embed a Microsoft eBook compiler into a Cocoon
app. The user requests the cgi output (a Microsoft Reader eBook) from an
ordinary reader, which encapsulates the cgi, and passes it parameters. The
cgi program (makelit.exe) also reads data from Cocoon (the url which is
passed to the cgi is the url of a Cocoon pipeline which provides data to the
eBook compiler). In my case I had the C++ source for the eBook compiler, so
I could modify it to be a cgi app, but otherwise you can always wrap your
application in some kind of shell script.

<!-- MS Reader (.lit) file -->
<map:match pattern="etexts/*.lit">
    <map:read
src="http://localhost/cgi-bin/makelit.exe?http://localhost/etexts/{1}.opf"/>