cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stephan Michels <step...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Integrating Slide and Cocoon
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 19:33:17 GMT

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Ola Berg wrote:

> Hi,
>
> thinking over different ways to integrate Cocoon and Slide, where Slide is used as the
interface to the administration of the content, and Cocoon is used as the presentation layer.

> Now wondering:
>
> Slide can provide a WebDAV interface to a number of sources, say that I need an RDBMS
and a file system.

> Cocoon can use several types of sources, like RDBMS, file system and WebDAV.
>
> Now, what would you say be the best if I have data in the file system and in an RDBMS:
>
> 1) let Cocoon connect to the file system and the RDBMS directly
>
> or
>
> 2) let Cocoon connect to the WebDAV view of the data (via Slide).
>
> Can performance cope with the extra WebDAV layer? Can Slide and Cocoon share configuration
data, so that the connection information is managed at a single spot for both Cocoon and Slide?
Should I integrate via a message broker instead? Do you have other thougths or experiences
in integrating Slide and Cocoon?

Both have pros and cons. The connection via the SlideSource can have
some possible problem with caching in the stores. And the
connection via the WebDAVSource, which is temporary removed from
the CVS, can be slow, because of the extra layer.

Stephan Michels.