cocoon-users mailing list archives

From MJ Ray <ma...@cloaked.freeserve.co.uk>
Subject Re: Arrgh, more XML/HTML problems now it's '&'
Date Mon, 19 Aug 2002 02:05:45 GMT
Justin Fagnani-Bell wrote:
> So I do some searching on on w3.org and sure enough URLs in XHTML have
> to use '&amp;' instead of '&'. Arrgh, I know this will cause problems
> once people who are used to normal HTML start using this.  [...]

I remember it being the same in HTML attributes too.  The HTML 2.0 spec even
explicitly says so.  For a blast from the past (well, 1995), see
http://www.w3.org/MarkUp/html-spec/html-spec_3.html#SEC3.2.4
Maybe the "normal HTML" wasn't so normal...

I also remember a particularly annoying bug with an early version of
Netscape (or maybe a late Mosaic) that did something odd with entity
expansions of URLs typed into the location bar, as a side-effect of the
above requirement.

Hope that helps,

--

---'