cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: How to translate?
Date Tue, 06 Aug 2002 15:24:44 GMT
> From: Albert Cervera Areny [mailto:informatic@sedifa.com]
>
> Hi,
> I've been looking at the i18n transformer in the
> documentation web page,
> however I can't see how it works in production. I got the idea that it
> works let's say like gettext as you mark which parts you want
> to translate
> and generate a file with those messages.... if so... how can I do that
> easily? I've been looking throw those convert and merge xsl
> files but they
> don't seem to generate it. I was able to create a file to
> translate into
> one new language from the simple_dict.xml example but how may
> I create it
> from scratch?

Seems that your are looking for my text2messages.xsl that I have on my
harddrive at home ;). But I don't think that you'll have problems in
creating such a stylesheet yourself if you are familiar with XSLT. You just
have to generate <message key="">text</message> elements from the all
'i18n:text' and all the attributes that are listed in 'i18n:attr' attribute.
If you don't hurry then I'll send my stylesheet to you tomorrow.

> These two files, messages and dictionary, are the ones that
> make me not to
> understand the hole process.

The process is this:
	- you create a content file and mark some parts of it by 'i18n:text'
and 'i18n:attr'
	- run a stylesheet that generates you an empty dictionary file
	- you add your translations to that dictionary (say message_de.xml)
	- place it in the message catalog (say in the 'translations'
directory)
	- enjoy

> Could someone clarify those aspects or point me to a better resource?

I think that I'm the best resource to ask about i18n. Tell me if you have
any problems with it.

Konstantin