cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Piroumian Konstantin <KPiroum...@protek.com>
Subject RE: === Cocoon + Localisation + Dynamic + database : Need point o f view ===
Date Mon, 05 Aug 2002 10:59:07 GMT
> From: jerome iffrig [mailto:jerome.iffrig@anitesystems.de]
>
> I am building an internationalized website.
>
> I would like all the pages (related to a given topic) to be
> displayed with a
> common layout.
> For instance, let's say I want to create a page about
> recycling paper - I
> would like the page to use the same layout for the French,
> German, English
> and Spanish languages - Hence ONE single presentation layer template
> associated with 4 versions of XML files representing the
> content of the page
> in different languages.

No problems with this, just use a single stylesheet to render all the pages.
This is done in the sitemap by using a pipeline which should process all
"*.xml" files with say "layout.xsl" stylesheet. Take a look at the Hello
world samples in Cocoon.

> Furthermore my user should be able do dynamically add new pages (new
> topics). This page will initially be entered by the user in
> any of the 4
> languages (let's say French) - the following hours (or days),
> some other
> users might decide to edit an other localized version of the
> same document -
> These now localized versions of the content of the document need to be
> dynamically available to the users.

Just place a new file under your application context and it will be
processed as all the rest.

> I have been told that Cocoon was able to make this together
> very efficiently
> (I have even been told that I could keep track [e.g. path of
> the localized
> documents] and make them dynamically available in real time
> as the content
> grows) using COCOON.

Don't quite understand this one. What does it mean 'path of the localized
documents'?

> I have installed cocoon, Have a database ready (MySQL),
> Servlet container
> and everything that is needed for the implementation - I have
> read some
> substantial documentation about cocoon (including official
> documentation and
> had a look at the sample codes) but cannot figure out how to
> glue everything
> together - Basically I don't know how and where to start :o(

Start from learning the sitemap. It is the point where you tie everything
together.

> Please let me know any comment - Let me know if Cocoon is
> really a solution
> for the things I want to implement - Even send me some sample
> code if you
> have any that could put me on track :o)

I think that Cocoon is the right choice for your case. There are some very
good samples in Cocoon distro. Just learn the sitemap and take a look at
them. Also, you can always ask here if you have any questions.

Konstantin