cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Frédéric Glorieux <frederic.glori...@ajlsm.com>
Subject Xalan, xsl fucnction document(), caching ?
Date Fri, 23 Aug 2002 09:32:29 GMT
We are developping with cocoon (1 and now 2), and in our project an
operation could be :
transform 100 000 documents with the same xsl.
Under cocoon1 we worked with Saxon, for the moment with cocoon2 it's xalan.
We saw a big fall in performances in this new configuration, especially when
the xsl uses
the function document().
In the core.log we tried to guess the meaning of the calls, see the example
below,
It's a simple localized xsl, wich is searching in itself for each messages
(like some Michael Kay samples).

DEBUG   (2002-08-23) 10:54.54:135
[core.xslt-processor](/sdx/sdx/admin/identities.xsp)
Thread-13/XSLTProcessorImpl: xslSource =
org.apache.cocoon.components.source.FileSource@739aa3, system id =
file:/D:/server/webapps/sdx/sdx/admin/xsl/identities.xsl
DEBUG   (2002-08-23) 10:54.54:166
[core.xslt-processor](/sdx/sdx/admin/identities.xsp)
Thread-13/XSLTProcessorImpl: resolve(href = , base =
file:/D:/server/webapps/sdx/sdx/admin/xsl/identities.xsl); resolver =
org.apache.cocoon.environment.http.HttpEnvironment@318293
DEBUG   (2002-08-23) 10:54.54:166
[core.xslt-processor](/sdx/sdx/admin/identities.xsp)
Thread-13/XSLTProcessorImpl: resolve(href = , base =
file:/D:/server/webapps/sdx/sdx/admin/xsl/identities.xsl); resolver =
org.apache.cocoon.environment.http.HttpEnvironment@318293
DEBUG   (2002-08-23) 10:54.54:166
[core.xslt-processor](/sdx/sdx/admin/identities.xsp)
Thread-13/XSLTProcessorImpl: resolve(href = , base =
file:/D:/server/webapps/sdx/sdx/admin/xsl/identities.xsl); resolver =
org.apache.cocoon.environment.http.HttpEnvironment@318293
DEBUG   (2002-08-23) 10:54.54:166
[core.xslt-processor](/sdx/sdx/admin/identities.xsp)
Thread-13/XSLTProcessorImpl: resolve(href = , base =
file:/D:/server/webapps/sdx/sdx/admin/xsl/identities.xsl); resolver =
org.apache.cocoon.environment.http.HttpEnvironment@318293
Does it means that identities.xsl is throwing a request to cocoon at each
<xsl:value-of
select="document('')/xsl:stylesheet/messages[@xml:lang=$lang]/message[@id=$i
d]"/> ? It could explains our big problem of performances.

Does someone meet the problem ?
Is it a configuration of xalan by cocoon ?
(sorry if it's a xalan problem, I tryed to find an answer in xalan lists
also).

Workaround to avoid the document() function (xinclude ...) is not a solution
for us (messages in our case is presentation, not generation).