cocoon-users mailing list archives

From zapp...@eunet.at
Subject Name Resolution
Date Thu, 25 Jul 2002 18:02:34 GMT
Hello guys,

we are using cocoon 2.0.2 in a prototype and love the results. Implementation
was fast and very efficient. However, there is one problem (or should I say
challenge):
whenever someone accesses cocoon over the internet from a client that does not
have a DNS-entry (e.g. a client before a firewall at a IP-adress that has no
name associated), cocoon is terribly slow The reason seems to be that cocoon
performs reverse DNS-queries. If the nameserver does not find the right
hostname, it takes a very long until a timeout is received by cocoon. Is there a
way to turn that off?

It seems like RequestSessionContext.buildMiscXML() calls Request.getRemoteHost()
that calls InetAddress.getHostName() that triggers the host name lookup.
OOur Config:
Apache
Tomcat 3.2
Linux