cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: newbie: problem with cocoon on debian testing, jdk 1.4.0_01, tomcat 4.0.3 with cocoon 2.0.3
Date Sun, 21 Jul 2002 22:24:59 GMT
> From: daniel meier [mailto:krams@krims.ch]
>
> hi there
>
> I've done the source build with the modifications described for tomcat
4.0.3
> and with the modifications for java 1.4.0_01.
> everything should be runnig with debian woody/testing. I installed the
xlibs
> as well (xfree-common).
> but still no success. at the bottom you see the msg from tomcat.

Daniel,

Here is an important part:

> root cause
> (java.util.PropertyPermission javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory read)
>  at

java.security.AccessControlContext.checkPermission(AccessControlContext.
java
> :270)
>  at

java.security.AccessController.checkPermission(AccessController.java:401
)
>  at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPermission(SecurityManager.java:542)
>  at
java.lang.SecurityManager.checkPropertyAccess(SecurityManager.java:1291)
>  at java.lang.System.getProperty(System.java:572)
>  at
org.apache.cocoon.servlet.CocoonServlet.init(CocoonServlet.java:226)

Which in plain English reads: "You are running your Java *with* security
manager, and Cocoon is trying to read system property
javax.xml.parsers.SAXParserFactory, but this is not allowed because of
current security settings".

You have to find out java.policy file somewhere in your setup (mine is
in $JAVA_HOME/jre/lib/security) and add something similar to:

grant {
	permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

Which means: everybody can do everything. Or, you can tinker with this
file and allow only set of permissions to Cocoon libraries only. It
could look like:

grant codeBase "file:${catalina.home}/webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/-" {
	permission java.security.AllPermission;
};

(this should work if you have property catalina.home and cocoon is
expanded under webapps).

For more details regarding Java security, refer to Java documentation
and books.

Vadim

> thx for any help.
>
> kind regards