cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Berin Loritsch" <blorit...@apache.org>
Subject RE: FOP performance
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2002 13:17:16 GMT
> From: Matthew Langham [mailto:mlangham@s-und-n.de]
>
> Hi,
>
> It takes 8.5 seconds to generate the PDF file - which is only
> 1 page! Quite complex though with lots of tables etc - but no
> graphics. The system is a 650 Mhz with 256 MB RAM. Our
> customer thinks that this is too slow - and I am looking for
> any ideas as to how we can improve the speed (or perhaps this
> is normal?). The duration is split evently between the
> transformation step and the FOP step.

Each version of FOP and Cocoon gets quicker and quicker.  It's
better stay current.

Regarding your questions on speeding up the implementation, I have
to ask how often the source changes.  If it does not change often,
I suggest pre-generating it on a specified interval. The user will
think you did some voodoo and think you are a "god", and you didn't
change the architecture.

At the very least, this will buy you some time so that you can
experiment.