cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Matthew Langham" <mlang...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: Giving up! Cocoon too big, slow and confusing
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:55:48 GMT
Argyn wrote:

But writing docs is very different. Look at those guys who
are writing Cocoon books. They didn't post PDF version of their books
anywhere. They will not do it. But, if Apache.org's sponsors pay them, maybe
they'd post their books on the Web?
<<

Are you just trolling - or is this a serious comment? Because I am in a kind
mood - I'll assume the latter. We do not own the publishing rights to the
book so we have no influence on where or how it gets published. The
publisher decides that. There _will_ be one or two chapters published to the
web however.

Also - there is a great difference between documenting software and writing
a book on it (at least in our case). As you will see if you buy the book or
read a sample chapter quite a bit has actually nothing to do with Cocoon at
all. Huh? Well, we think that a book needs to tell a complete story (i.e.
why use XML at all, what problems exist that you can solve with XML/XSL, how
can Cocoon help, what sort of applications can you build with Cocoon etc.
etc.). That is in addition to the Cocoon specific documentation. 500 pages
in all :-). 7 months of hard work for the two of us.

Matthew

--
Open Source Group       Cocoon { Consulting, Training, Projects }
Tel:+49-5251-1581-30  mlangham@s-und-n.de - http://www.s-und-n.de