cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Manos Batsis" <m.bat...@bsnet.gr>
Subject RE: 'optimised HTML' serialiser
Date Tue, 25 Jun 2002 11:44:27 GMT

Sebastien,

I would advise you to reconsider your viewpoint.
You are suggesting that by sending HTML3.2 you gain the advantage of
fewer bytes; I disagree. If you want to save bandwidth, XHTML is what
you need. That's because it's modular. You can move most of
presentation-related info to a cascading stylesheet, which will make
downloads faster (stylesheets are reusable and browsers tend to cash
them).
Also, there  are more things than download time; how about rendering
time? Your 'fewer bytes' advantage turns zero if the browser has to go
through figuring out what the crippled (by today's standards) markup
means to render the page.
I would consider using the XHTML basic DTD if you need something really
compact and simple. And there's always whitespace stripping.

Cheers,
Manos