cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robert S. Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: Giving up! Cocoon too big, slow and confusing
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:13:28 GMT
Nicola Ken Barozzi wrote:

> Ok, this is what you could do, that I, as a committer, am really not
> able to do anymore: tell me what you want me to write in specific, tell
> me the title of the page, the paragraphs, what problems you want to see
> solved in the examples.
> As good as I can be to write code, I'm really unable to document it as
> you would need me to. That's why I need this kind of help.

[assuming the 'you' is the general cocoon user :) ]

I (and probably many other XSLT-heavy folk) would very interested to
know the best practices for cocoon shown in way that takes an XSLT based
site and produces a best-practices cocoon based app. (I would love to
see how Jorge Pietschman builds cocoon apps)

For example:
- why is xsl:include and xsl:import bad -> how should it be done
- why is XPath's document() bad -> how should it be done
- how do you reuse XML data that can be used for tabs, the nav,
snailtrails and links throughout the content (so you basically have a
lookup table as opposed to hard coding links)

I could provide a documented example of this basic site along with a
simple java app (basically a ContentHandler) that can be run to generate
the site statically.

I would love to see how the XSLT way differs from the cocoon way so I
can pick and choose the way(s) I want to go.

By providing this roadmap, I feel it would open floodgates for legions
of XSLT users/developers who are just totally intimidated by cocoon
(myself included).

Is this something for docs effort?

best,
-Rob