cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Tony Collen ...@hist.umn.edu>
Subject Re: Giving up! Cocoon too big, slow and confusing -- LONG and BORING reply
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 18:50:07 GMT
Eric Sheffer wrote:

>What about people who haven't yet figured it out?  Are they supposed
>to write a FAQ entry about what they didn't get to work?

No, but they can (and should) relay comments to the documentation people
regarding what they didn't understand, and what wasn't clear.  Didn't
understand wording? Ask the people who wrote it.  Go through the
documentation people.

It's a chain of command... think of it like tech support, sort of.

- The "end" users speak to the documentation people, things
added/clarified/etc.

- The documentation people can make revisions as needed.  If something
is unclear that they can fix, then fine.  If the documentation people
can't resolve problems, then the doc people can go do the developers for
help.

- If the developers can't provide feedback to the documentation people,
then something needs to be changed :)

It's a sort of ground-up approach.  End users can't expect perfect
documentation if they don't contribute in some way or another to the
quality of it - be it actually adding to the documentation (Writing a
new FAQ, for example), or asking the documentation people to make
something more clear.  If the documentation sucks, please do not be
afraid to tell us it does so.

But please don't just say "It sucks, I quit" without contributing some
positive criticisms as to *why* it sucks.

Tony