cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Nicola Ken Barozzi <nicola...@apache.org>
Subject Re: using cocoon pipelines without servlet
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 11:50:04 GMT

Othman Haddad wrote:

> hi everybody,
> i've got 2 questions that could help me a lot:
> 1) can i extract the cocoon pipeling mecanism from cocoon without using
> as a servlet? (i'm already using turbine and have a lot of code, and
> what just to use the interesting pipelining of cocoon)!

It is possible, there is not a prebuilt solution for this ATM.
These are three ways that come to mind to me ATM:

1. use Cocoon as a Servlet 2.3 filter. In this way it can
preprocess-postprocess the Turbine stuff. There is a filter for this in
the Cocoon scratchpad IIRC.

2. Call Cocoon as you would for any other servlet.

3. Create an Enviromnent that calls Cocoon as a big service.

Option 3 is the best IMHO but it also takes more time to do.
If you send it to us, I will surely commit it :-)

For an example on how to do it, look at the commandline Environment and
how it's used.

> 2) can i use a java object in the cocoon pipeline?

Sure, but since a Cocoon pipeline is XML, you must wrap it in a Cocoon
pipeline component, which can be a Generator, Transformer, Serializer or
Action, Matcher, etc...

It just depends on what you need this java object to do or to be.

             - verba volant, scripta manent -