cocoon-users mailing list archives

From F Baube <fba...@welho.com>
Subject About ComponentExceptions and Hints
Date Fri, 07 Jun 2002 14:54:20 GMT
(disclaimer: I'm new to the list)

Configuration: Cocoon 2.0.2, JDK 1.3, Tomcat 4.0.4-b3, RH 7.2 Linux

There's a common sitemap-related error that many people have posted to
cocoon-users and cocoon-dev, but I still haven't seen a conclusive answer
to the cause of the problem.

The exception generally reads,

	org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException:
	UnnamedSelector: ComponentSelector could not find the
	component for hint foobar"

Searching for " ComponentException hint " turns up 90 hits on cocoon-users
and 96 on cocoon-dev.

This happens to me too when I try to define and use a new Generator type.

	<map:generator name="blog"
	 src="org.apache.cocoon.generation.BlogGenerator" label="content">
	</map:generator>

	[ .. ]

	<map:match pattern="hello.blg">
		<map:generate type="blog" src="docs/samples/hello-page.xml"/>
		<map:transform src="stylesheets/page/simple-page2html.xsl"/>
		<map:serialize/>
	</map:match>

Naturally, between runs I clear out the Tomcat directories "work",
"logs", and "webapps/cocoon".

When I click on my link to "hello.blg", the exception that I get in my browser is:

	An error occurred

	The org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap notifies that
	org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException says:

	UnnamedSelector: ComponentSelector could not find the component for hint: bog

	More precisely:

	org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: UnnamedSelector: ComponentSelector
could not find the component for hint: blog

	extra info stacktrace
	org.apache.avalon.framework.component.ComponentException: UnnamedSelector: ComponentSelector
could not find the component for hint: blog
	at org.apache.avalon.excalibur.component.ExcaliburComponentSelector.select(ExcaliburComponentSelector.java:276)
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.DefaultSitemapComponentSelector.select(DefaultSitemapComponentSelector.java:101)
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.DefaultSitemapComponentSelector.select(DefaultSitemapComponentSelector.java:104)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractEventPipeline.setGenerator(AbstractEventPipeline.java:138)
	at org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.setGenerator(CachingEventPipeline.java:118)
	at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.matchN400458(/usr/local/FWD/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b3/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-files/org/apache/cocoon/www/sitemap_xmap.java:5370)
	at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(/usr/local/FWD/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b3/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-files/org/apache/cocoon/www/sitemap_xmap.java:2974)
	at org.apache.cocoon.www.sitemap_xmap.process(/usr/local/FWD/jakarta-tomcat-4.0.4-b3/work/Standalone/localhost/cocoon/cocoon-files/org/apache/cocoon/www/sitemap_xmap.java:2621)
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Handler.process(Handler.java:222)
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.Manager.invoke(Manager.java:179)
	at org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.SitemapManager.process(SitemapManager.java:154)
	[..]

I have checked, and my class BlogGenerator does get included into
the cocoon.war file, in webapps/cocoon/WEB-INF/lib/cocoon-2.0.2.jar

I don't know if this is relevant, but some debugging code that I added to
org.apache.cocoon.sitemap.DefaultSitemapComponentSelector.java  told me that
my new Generator with hint "blog" was being registered with addComponent()
but not with addSiteMapCmoponent().

I've seen at least four calls for assistance about this exception, maybe six,
in the couple of weeks I've been following the lists.

Perhaps something is missing from the documents' discussion of the sitemap ?
I've read over the discussions of how a pipeline is selected and processed,
but I can't seem to find the answer.

The problem (and my error) must be something embarrassingly simple.

thanks
fred baube
fbaube at welho.com