cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Argyn Kuketayev <Argyn.Kuketa...@plateau.com>
Subject RE: Giving up! Cocoon too big, slow and confusing
Date Fri, 28 Jun 2002 14:50:29 GMT

I don't think that Cocoon is complex. I blame the very poor documentation.
When you know how it works, it's simple. So, you have to get very familiar
with the source codes to use Cocoon. I don't like it. I'd rather look under
the hood only when I have non-trivial problems.

Unfortunately, with Cocoon you have to do it all the time. E.g., Cocoon's
samples are just to say "hey, we have samples!". Look at database samples.
C'mon guys, aren't you targeting an enterprise environment?! DB is the
centerpiece of the enterprise, everything's rolls around it. DB integration
must be covered thoroughly.

I also think that there must be a couple of PDF manuals (dev and
deployment), which contain all docs currently written. So, I can print them
and read, instead of browsing xml.apache.org web site.

Ok, the last bullet: books. When those so long awaited books on Cocoon are
released, I'm afraid that Cocoon will not be the same. I'm afraid they will
be outdated.