cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: Cocoon 2.0.3 problems...
Date Thu, 20 Jun 2002 15:30:35 GMT
> From: Per Kreipke [mailto:per@onclave.com]
>
> I'm sorry to do this but I'm about to ask a bunch of very newbie
> questions.....
>

> I got a copy of the 2.0.3 branch last night, built it and had the
following
> (some ongoing) problems (in Tomcat 4.0.3):

rm -rf $TOMCAT_HOME

Go and get 4.0.4, less install steps and less problems for you.

> - I had 2.0.2 code installed. I used 'checkout -r ...' as the docs
here

> http://xml.apache.org/cocoon/contrib.html#cvshowto
>
> say but cvs _merged_ the files with my existing 2.0.2 code. This
became
> apparent when I compiled because the merge tags ('<<<<<<<<' and
'>>>>>>>')

You've got conflicts during merge.

> - I then got a completely clean copy of 2.0.3 (yes, the docs did say
to use

That's The Good Thing (tm) to do.

> a different directory), made the changes for TC4.0.3 and executed the
> 'webapp-local' target.
>
> However, C2 didn't run because no libraries were copied. Then I found
the
> note in the docs to set '-Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes' and they got
copied the
> next time.

I used to:

build -Dinclude.webapp.libs=yes webapp

> - During startup of C2 I get the following error:
>
> "Logging Error: Could not set up Cocoon Logger, will use screen
instead"

> and the stack is:
> java.lang.NullPointerException
> at

org.apache.avalon.framework.configuration.AbstractConfiguration.getAttri
bute
> (AbstractConfigurations.java:494)
> at

org.apache.cocoon.util.log.CocoonTargetFactory.getFormatter(CocoonTarget
Fact
> ory.java:142)

No idea why you are getting this. Try cleaning up tomcat installation,
or, easier, install new one.

> Thoughts?

Get yourself tomcat 4.0.4.
:)

> - Lastly, dumb cvs question: now that I have the 2.0.3 branch code on
my
> machine, will 'cvs update' work correctly to get just updated files as
> needed?

>From /cvs/xml-cocoon203/ do

cvs update -pD (or -Pd? Check man :)

I usually do checkout from /cvs/:

cvs -q -z9 checkout -r cocoon_2_0_3_branch -d xml-cocoon203 xml-cocoon2

Vadim