cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "J.Pietschmann" <j3322...@yahoo.de>
Subject Re: xsl:apply-templates bug?
Date Tue, 14 May 2002 18:47:57 GMT
Spectron International, Inc. wrote:
> I have noticed something with xsl:apply-templates I don't know if it is a
> bug but it seems to me that it shouldn't work that way. I have the following
> xml:
>
> <header>
>   <column>
>   <column>
>   <column>
>   <column>
> </header>
> <xsl:template match="column">
>   <xsl:value-of select="position()"/>
> </xsl>
>
> If I use <xsl:apply-templates select="column"/> it will return the expected
> numbers (1,2,3,4) if I only use <xsl:apply-templates/> it returns (2,3,4,5).
> Why is that?

This is an XSLT question which should better have asked on the
XSL list.
As for the problem itself: the behaviour is probably correct.
When using <xsl:apply-templates/>, templates are applied to all
child nodes, including text nodes which consist of whitespace
only (usually to format the source XML) and comments. If you
have a comment before your first column element, it is at
position 1. Look hard at your source.

J.Pietschmann