cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Carsten Ziegeler" <cziege...@s-und-n.de>
Subject RE: URL Factory vs Source Handler
Date Thu, 25 Apr 2002 14:33:00 GMT

TREGAN Fabien wrote:

> Hi,
>
> From cocoon.xconf :
>
>   <!-- URL Factory:
>     The url factory adds special url protocols to the system,
> they are then
>     available inside Cocoon, e.g. as a source argument for one of the
> sitemap
>     components.
>   -->
>
>   <!-- Source Handler:
>     The source handler adds special url protocols to the system, they are
>     then available inside Cocoon, e.g. as a source argument for one of the
>     sitemap components.
>   -->
>
> ok, so how do I choose between URL Factory and Source Handler ?
> Is the only
> difference that SourceS are dom/sax compliants when resources can be
> anything ?

The URL Factory was the first implementation of source resolving for Cocoon,
it was later on replaced by the source handlers, but left there for
compatibility. So the Source handler is the way to go.

The source resolving of Cocoon was donated to avalon excalibur and was
there redefined for general purpose. Currently we are in the process
of installing the avalon excalibur source resolving. This will replace
the source handler, too. But of course source handlers written for
Cocoon will be usable with the new architecture.

> Is it only possible to use a Source via SourceFactory registered with its
> protocol in the SourceHandler or are there other ways ? (and if
> answer=="yes", how come that there is no SitemapSourceFactory ?
> special case
> due to SitemapSource loaded to early and then using a default protocol ?)

The official way is to use the SourceFactory. The cocoon protocol
(SitemapSource)
is added to the system via a well-defined "back-door". This will be
complete removed soon and is not the intended way.

Carsten