cocoon-users mailing list archives

From andy.el...@idl-bt.com
Subject RE: Error handling with nested Velocity components
Date Mon, 15 Apr 2002 14:58:18 GMT
Thanks!

-----Original Message-----
From: Nicola Ken Barozzi [mailto:nicolaken@apache.org]
Sent: 15 April 2002 15:31
To: cocoon-users
Subject: Re: Error handling with nested Velocity components

From: <andy.eltis@idl-bt.com>

> Hi
>
> Does anyone know how to force a new page on the browser when dealing with
> errors that come from a nested Velocity component?  I'm finding that with
my
> current pipeline:
>
> <map:handle-errors>
>      <map:transform type="xslt" src="error/tidyerror.htm"/>
>      <map:serialize type="html" status-code="500"/>
> </map:handle-errors>
>
> causes the error to appear within the page, in the same way that the
> Velocity component would have done. What I need is for the error page to
be
> a complete page, replacing any components that may already have been
> displayed when processing that request.

This is not a Velocity problem, nor a Cocoon problem but a Worksforme.

Since the page results are sent to the client as soon as they are ready,
when an error occurs the browser has already gotten parts of the page, and
the error system can only append information.

You can increase the buffer size, but of course you will have a higher
memory need and higher latency (ie < percieved performance).

Or send as an error a javascript that redirects to an error page.

            - verba volant, scripta manent -