cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Yuri Gadow <yuri.ga...@ieee.org>
Subject Re: How to get HTML (not XHTML) from the HTMLSerializer (C2.0.1)
Date Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:53:13 GMT
Diana,

Counter-intuitive: XSLT sheet with output method declared as HTML
ostensibly prevents the HTMLSerializer from serializing as HTML (XML is
used instead.)

Just to clarify, I should point out that there were several XSLT sheets
in different pipelines, some declaring output method as HTML, some as
XHTML. In all cases, the HTMLSerializer was used, and XML output was
created. Removing the entire output-method declaration from the XSLT
sheets resulted in the correct behavior.

For example:

<xsl:output method="html"
    doctype-public="-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN"
    doctype-system="http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd"
    omit-xml-declaration="yes"
    indent="yes"/>

I don' know whether this is a consistent behavior of C2/Xalan or a
symptom of our local integration approach.

Thanks,

Yuri Gadow

On Wed, 2002-04-17 at 06:04, Diana Shannon wrote:
> Yuri,
>
> > As it turns out, the XSLT sheets in the pipeline before the
> > HTMLSerializer where, themselves, setting the output to be HTML and
> > XHTML (via output method and namespace mappings.) I removed the NS
> > mappings and output elements from them, and am now seeing correct
> > serialization of HTML and XHTML. Seems a bit counter-intuitive, but it
> > works.
>
> There are efforts underway to improve the user docs. Your input is
> important. Can you explain what you believe to be "counter-intuitive"
> about the solution to your original problem?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Diana Shannon

Yuri Gadow 0x6D21BAAE