cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Volker Schneider" <volker.schnei...@danet.de>
Subject Architectural question MVC
Date Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:45:56 GMT
Dear colleagues,

for developing a web application we thought about an architecture using the
model-view-controller architecture pattern. Can somebody help me and say
whether this is a good or bad idea?

First the request goes to from a form to an action set, where the following
things are handled in separate actions:

- session validation
- authentication validation
- form validation

The next action accesses the business logic and decides, which page will be
shown next. Maybe business logic returns an error, so an error page can be
displayed. The name of the next page will be stored in a request attribute.

This action contains the pipeline which uses a serverpages-generator and a
xsp-File. The xsp-File retrieves the stored results from the session and
builds the input for the serverpages generator. The xsp will produce all the
content needed for displaying the page, except the presentation information.

Presentation information will be added through a transformer and a
xsl-stylesheet.

The last step is an ordinary html serializer.

What do you think, is it too complicate? Will we get problems with
performance? Is there an easier way to reach the same goal (MVC pattern)?
What is a typical architecture using cocoon?

Thank you, best regards
- Volker -