cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: Benchmarking aggregations
Date Mon, 11 Feb 2002 19:35:19 GMT
> From: Jozsa Kristof [mailto:dynax@kami.vein.hu]
>
> Hi,
>
>   I've donated an hour, and did some manual benchmarking of my Cocoon2
> project, which is in early state, but is already slow, so I thought I
look
> after.. I've made the benchmarks with the unix tools 'time' and
'wget',
> wgetting a page a fewhundred times, and calculated the average
results, each
> tests repeated a few times. It's not accurate, but sure better then
nothing.

>   My sitemap contains several aggregations, uses custom Generators
pulling
> xml data from EJBs and such. It uses a 'self-invented'
block-layouts-pages
> theory, so every page is aggregated TWICE: the page contains layouts,
which
> are aggregated, and layouts contains block, which are aggregated
again. I've
> removed the internal-only flag from all my pipelines, so I could
measure
> each separately.
>
>   The results are strange. It roughly shows, that for the FIRST
aggregation
> (putting together a layout from blocks), I get almost the same
results, than
> the 'blocks' rendering time summed up, with almost no addon
aggregation
> time. (Eg. two blocks with 0.025s each aggregation can be done in
0.055s).

>   But, at the second aggregation, the time needed for aggregation of
layouts
> (and nothing else, I've removed all transformators and funky stuff for
the
> test) multiplies, and goes up to the sky: three layouts with rendering
times
> 0.055s, 0.160s and 0.045s get aggregated and displayed in provoking
~1.25
> seconds(!!). I've repeated the tests many times, and checked the
sitemap,
> but it just does the very same as before, where aggregation time was
almost
> unnoticeable.

Suggestion:
Save results of these three blocks (0.055s, 0.160s and 0.045s) into a
files and change second aggregation to aggregate these files, then
benchmark again. Thus, you will get time of the second aggregation
without other pipelines.

I wonder what results you will get with this :)

Vadim