cocoon-users mailing list archives

From aaldr...@csc.com
Subject Re: What are content management and middleware?
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2002 14:21:29 GMT
kinda begs the question - who's gonna build the content management GUI on
top of cocoon?

That's the killer app after all!

Regards,

Anthony Aldridge
Lead Application developer

Managed Intranet Hosting
CSC
JPMorganChase
Personal GDP: 325-8338
MIH Hotline: 876-1300

Rick <fewayne@facstaff.wisc.edu> on 07/01/2002 19:39:33

Please respond to cocoon-users@xml.apache.org

To:   cocoon-users@xml.apache.org
cc:
Subject:  Re: What are content management and middleware?

content management, as used in this industry, usually encompasses
user-access tools as well as organization and presentation. for
instance, grabbing a bit of marketing jargon at random, "Insite Server,
a 100% browser-based, out-of-the-box content management software that
allows teams to create, edit, manage, revise and publish Web sites and
intranets."

middleware is software that allows applications to talk to each other.
CORBA is middleware; RMI is middleware; Java Message System is
middleware. the customary use of the term refers to *products* that
implement middleware, along with various value-added services. SonicMQ
is a middleware package.

cocoon is really none of the above. cocoon's content architecture
(separating logic from styling from content from management) simplifies
content management, but doesn't do it for you. for example, if i want to
give access to FNORD.XML to our "content" people, FNORD2HTML.XSL to our
"design" people, and keep all the administrative powers to myself, i
have to work out all the ins and outs of file permissions, user
accounts, and suchlike. without cocoon, it'd be even worse.

hope this helps,

rw