cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Lewis, Andrew J" <Andrew.Le...@jbosc.ksc.nasa.gov>
Subject RE: Sun's patent application on dynamically publishing XML-compliant documents
Date Mon, 21 Jan 2002 15:38:57 GMT
Realize that as bad as this sounds, many companies are acutally gathering
software patents for "defensive" purposes under the theory that if you have
enough of them you could sue over, no one will sue you over the ones they
have. It still elaves the little guy getting completely screwed. My point is
merely that these are not always malicious in intent. The key has more to do
with the particular companies' history of litigating these types of issues.

Also, while prior art is great, it still takes million$ to defend against a
software patent suit because (at least in the US) the law is structured such
that the patent is "assumed" to be valid, so you have to prove that the US
government was wrong in order to win,

Many companies file suits over patents that everyone knows are bogus,m but
they go out and ask companies for $25,000 for a license, or face the
alternative of a lawsuit that costs millions. Good business sense says that
the $25,000 is a much more cost efective approach, even if it does just make
the problem worse.