cocoon-users mailing list archives

From Stephen Manning <SMann...@fm.optus.net.au>
Subject RE: develop content management system
Date Fri, 18 Jan 2002 00:12:09 GMT
Hi,

I too am interested in development of a content management system. From
reading the posts on this subject, the general feeling is that content
management systems developed so far, have missed the point.

IMHO cms's are most useful in an intranet scenario where many people would
like to contribute information but give up becaue it is all to hard. CMS on
an internet site really needs to have a number of control mechanisms
implemented as you don't want anyone adding information to a publicly
accessible site (workflow management).

I don't think that we should create yet another simpletons web editor. There
is ample evidence of these systems around already and I believe that they
ultimately miss the point. If I was to put forward a design goal as to what
is needed, I would have to say that there is a huge need for a system that
separates the storage of content in its many forms (documents, web pages,
images, data sources) from there physical storage locations (and navigation
paths) and ultimately the way that this content can be manipulated into new
and value added ways. A simple example would be to allow people to use a
word processor to generate content (something most people are comfortable
with) and save it into a 'system' that can then extract this information and
(for example) merge it into a web based display with other similar
information. Add to this the ability to navigate to the same content from
different navigation paths and you start to create a powerful paradigm that
is yet to be done really well and make many peoples lives easier. Versioning
of content, workflow management in the creation and approval of conent are
other area's that need work to.

Just a thought :)

Stephen Manning