cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Alex Kachanov" <a...@intadev.com>
Subject RE: Select on Browser Capabilities
Date Sun, 20 Jan 2002 07:12:46 GMT

>>I think generally you are right. It would be nice to get the capabilities
>>directly from the header and serve the content accordingly. But I guess this
>>will have to wait until the next(?) generation of mobile phones.

there is a project called RDF that is planned to be used to describe
device capabilities. The link to RDF file will be sent with the UA string
in HTTP header. However this is just a plan that might be realized in
next century....

BUT, Cocoon2 has such feature as Browser Capability database.
so instead of recognizing the browser in pipeline or in the code
you can just add the browser to this database and use the variables
from the database (such as screen width, color depth, img format)
to serve a specific stylesheet for specific mobile phone or PC browser.

have a look at previous messsages in this list where I talk about this hidden feature.

Lars