cocoon-users mailing list archives

From David BERNARD <dwa...@java-fan.com>
Subject Re: help management system?
Date Tue, 22 Jan 2002 21:29:17 GMT
> This might be a litte OT, but I really have no other place to go...
>
> I have a Java application. Pretty big, actually, and still work in progress.
> And I'm required to build the help for it.
>
> The requirements:
>   - modular: very easy to update/create the help files.
>   - preferably web-based (viewable in a browser)
>   - callable from the application (the usual F1 key)

JavaHelp is a good tool for help management system (help file can be local or on remote server).
JavaHelp provide standard GUI with topic or index (if defined)

> As this is clearly content/presentation separation, is Cocoon suited for
> this kind of application?

Yes and No. JavaHelp use xml files to define topic, aggregation... and html 3.2 for contents.
So you can write doc directly in html or you can use cocoon to provide dynamicly thoses files
(xml + html). You can also use cocoon to generate staticly JavaHelp files (best choose depends
of update time rate).

If you use cocoon you need to define your content language.

David "Dwayne" Bernard             Freelance Developer (Java)
                                   mailto:dwayne@java-fan.com
      \|/                          http://dwayne.java-fan.com