cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Robert Koberg" <...@koberg.com>
Subject Re: What are content management and middleware?
Date Wed, 09 Jan 2002 17:30:58 GMT
Hi,

You want to create your own EditorKit or extend the HTMLEditorKit. I had
alot of problems getting the editor kit to do what I wanted. I gave up and
am letting the browser lay it out.

As for browser based tools, here is something I just posted to w3cHTML and
cocoon-dev:

Consider the demo pre-pre-alpha :) It requires IE5.5+ (I have been doing my
testing with IE6). There are bugs[1]. I am using  this with select clients
so it does work in it's limited way. The tool runs on Saxon, Xerces and
tomcat/resin

The server is currently sitting behind a Linksys router with a DSL line. It
is a linux box, 800mhz xeon, 512MB RAM. The design is being worked on so you
are seeing developer graphics/layout. I have limited what can be done and
run through a few basic tests and everything allowed (limited author rights)
seems to work... But then again I have not done load testing)

What you do:
1. Go to:
https://dev.activestoryboard.com/
and log in with:
email: w3c
password: html

2. select the site you want to edit (W3C Working Group)

3. Pick a page you want to enter the site at

NOTE: the page is broken up into content chunks. When you click content
areas on the page some will highlight to indicate they are editable. Each
highlighted chunk is an XML file on the server. If you edit a chunk you need
to save it to the server before you can see the change take hold (before you
leave the page).

4. Edit away. There are tooltips on the buttons in the modeless toolbar that
can (hopefully) help explain what the buttons do. You can do basic word
processoing task with key commands such Ctrl-b for bold, Ctrl-i for italics,
Ctrl-Z for undo, etc

5. Navigate the site with the leftnav to choose pages you want to edit.

If you have any questions please email me.

If you will, please create a page with the label being your name??

Some things you can do:
- add/delete pages, folders
- add existing content to a page
- add existing images to page (alignable)
- add links to highlighted text
- bullets, numbering
- click on folder/page info to change page properties
- click on "Manage Center (left or right) Column" to rearrange

curious what will happen :)

best,
-Rob

[1]  Some known bugs:
- can't select image and create link
- sometimes after modal dialog dismissal, focus gets screwed up
- inserting a numeric entity is not correct (but looks OK in IE)
- links insert extra space at end
- haven't set up external links yet (can only select pages that exist in the
site currently)
- don't know how it will react to a heavy load
- and more that I have not seen yet