cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Vadim Gritsenko" <vadim.gritse...@verizon.net>
Subject RE: Realms Challenge
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 13:49:23 GMT
> From: Phil Blake [mailto:phil@tcp.net.au]
>
> Hi Vadim,
>
> Thanks for your reply.
>
> > If you want basic HTTP authentication... Read webapp specification
on
> > java.sun.com for a standard way of doing this.
>
> There is no mention of webapp at java.sun.com as you suggest (have I
> missed something), so I've spent an hour browsing pages off
> java.sun.com. That was getting nowhere so I went searching.
>
> The search on java.sun.com returned nothing about webapp and the only
> thing I found when searching for "java webapp specification" at
several
> search engines was a set of copyright libraries called "webapp" at
> http://www.webapp.de/
>
> I read the java.sun.com page pretty carefully and there is definitely
no
> mention of webapp. Is it a new specification? Is that why it should be
> on java.sun.com? Usually there are only announcements on the home
page?

> ...or did you mean that somewhere in the sun site is something about
> 'webapps' that probably has info on using servlets to present a http
> realm challenge? Sorry to ask, I don't mean any offense, but as you
> probably know, you do occasionally get completely useless responses to
> email that waste your time and money in following them up.

Webapp stands for Web Applications, or, if you seen *.war files, war
stands for Web Application aRchive. War files have a deployment
descriptor inside, in WEB-INF/web.xml file. All this (and more) is
described in servlet specification or Java Server Pages specification.

http://jcp.org/aboutJava/communityprocess/first/jsr053/index.html

> More useful, is there anyone using cocoon, that is also using basic
> realm authentication? Can you post an example?

Can't tell you complete example (do not remember everything), but it
should include <auth-constraint>, <auth-method>, and some other tags in
web.xml file.

Hope now it's more helpful for you,

Regards,
Vadim