cocoon-users mailing list archives

From "Koen Pellegrims" <koen.pellegr...@pandora.be>
Subject Re: develop content management system
Date Wed, 16 Jan 2002 20:09:32 GMT
If you are planning to go forward with this, I want in...

my first question is: what needs to be the scope of such a system?

Let's say we manage to build the perfect graphical UI for Cocoon; does that accomplish our
goal? Because that still requires knowledge about the workings of Cocoon.
IMHO, a content management system should play different roles when used by different users.

For example, an editor should only be concerned about the articles he/she is posting onto
the website. These could be formatted in some very simple markup language to define important
items, quotes, images... This markup could (should) even be hidden from the editor through
a simple dtd/schema-aware GUI.
The next step is the (in this case) cocoon-savvy webmaster (not designer); this person defines
the data-flow throughout the site (designs the actual sitemap).
The final step would be the development of publishing stylesheets by a designer (eg. one designer
for the web-version and one designer for the PDA version...).

There could also be developers that develop Java components to generate content,...  All of
these steps can be regarded as 'content management'.

Now, to repeat my question: should content management cover this entire chain, or only parts
of it? (and which).

Koen.